Saturday, June 27, 2009

Less ambiguity

Yesterday, when I wrote the post immediately below, the day after I got the good news, I was terribly tired.
Being terribly tired has not been unheard of here; perhaps it’s been a more or less regular occurrence. But it took me by surprise; I expected bursts of energy, sparkly, perky eagerness to bounce and bound around. 
One can make sense of it; a collapse into relief, a sudden (pretty much unconscious) evaporation of death-bound tension leaving me limp: these and many more like them would suffice as explanations. But I was surprised, nor was it a happy sort of surprise; but it did serve to remind me that progress toward a satisfying resemblance to health would be slow; perhaps, at least occasionally, difficult; and perfectly reasonably, challenging. After all it’s been a long time since I could be described as healthy; a year or two before the diagnosis of cancer at least.

We press on (as strength allows).

No comments:

Post a Comment